As the VP of Engineering at Parsley Health, I’ve built early products and the engineering team that has seen the company through a Series B raise. Prior to Parsley I was a tech lead with Fast Company magazine, where I developed frontend technology serving millions of readers per month, and I served as the technical director at a boutique creative agency.
Parsley Health, VP of Engineering [2016-Present]
- First engineering hire and current manager of the product engineering team.
- Hired directly, or hired the people who hired a 15 person engineering team, working across platform, growth and product engineering concerns.d
- Directly manage a team primarily located in New York, but which includes multiple remote and offshore engineers.
- Engineering leadership through our Seed and Series A funding rounds.
- Personally built initial versions of our patient & checkout web applications, our synchronization backend and our general use application API.
- Involved in all major technical architecture and strategy decisions.
Ronik Design, Technical Director [2014-2016]
- Oversaw the architecture and execution of dozens of client projects, managed interns and other developers. Clients included Purpose, Phaidon, Tycoon, MiMedia, and Chartbeat.
- Toward the end of my tenure I was also involved in the planning and initial development of a CMS product, TakeShape.
Fast Company, Lead Developer [2011-2014]
- At Fast Company we took an overburdened Drupal-based website and brought it into the cloud, leveraging AWS and Apache Solr. We recreated the frontend as a rich client-side application for our millions of monthly uniques and rebuilt the editing interface to support publishing to a network of five sites, with sophisticated scheduling and cross-posting features.
**Mansueto Ventures, Senior Multimedia Producer [**2005-2011]
- Producer of video and podcast content for Inc. and Fast Company magazines, before this was commonplace. Made major platform decisions and built a substantial amount of technical tooling and process to handle publishing and presentation of content.
- Though I don’t have much time for this lately, I still manage the website for the Swedish art gallery Galleri Magnus Karlsson. Over several years this site has grown to house thousands of works by more than 20 artists, and hundreds of news items and events. I’m happy to say, I very rarely need to do anything to it.
- I was also involved in filming and producing a music documentary, for which I have an IMDB credit.
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill [1999-2003]
Bachelor of Arts, Anthropology and Cultural Studies
Languages & Technologies
- Cloud platforms: GCP / Aptible
- Cloud tools: Cloud PubSub / App Engine / Cloud DNS
- Front-end: React
- Databases: PostgreSQL / Redis
- Misc: Docker / nginx / Sanity.io